What Should I Know Before Getting Breast Implants?
Getting breast augmentation surgery is an exciting step in your cosmetic journey. Dr. Michelle Lee in Beverly Hills is known as among the most trusted plastic surgeons in the area. She has the meticulous skill to accomplish nuanced and natural-looking outcomes while also making the process stress-free and rewarding.
Although you will have a detailed consultation, during which all your questions and concerns will be evaluated in-depth, it is nice to have a general overview of what to expect before moving forward. Below are three essential points that will help you feel better prepared when considering breast augmentation surgery.
- Choosing the right implant shape, size, and material is a personal decision.
When it comes to breast enhancement, there are many excellent, customized options to choose from, and Dr. Lee will help you make the best decision based on your unique anatomy and desired outcome.
- Type of implants: You will be able to choose from saline implants that are filled with sterilized salt water or silicone implants that are filled with cohesive silicone gel. Both types of implants have their advantages and disadvantages. Saline implants require a minor incision point and are generally considered safer because the body quickly reabsorbs the harmless saline if they rupture. On the other hand, silicone gel implants have a more natural look and feel––and they also pose a lesser risk of rippling, a complication where the edge of the implant becomes visible or palpable.
- Implant size: The size of the implant you choose is a matter of taste, and it should be based on your overall figure. You will be able to try on different-sized implants before surgery, and you may also be a candidate for 3D imaging, which allows you to see a digital version of how you will look in advance.
- Implant shape: The shape of the implants can be customized according to your wishes. Some implants have a round shape, and some have a teardrop shape. Dr. Lee will help you decide which ones you like best.
- Choosing the best type of incision is also a personal decision.
A majority of surgeons use two popular incision points. Dr. Lee will work with you to ensure your choice is well-suited to your cosmetic goals as well as your lifestyle and anatomy.
- The first type of incision is the inframammary incision. The inframammary fold is located where the bottom of the breast meets your body. Placing the incision in this location affords the surgeon the most significant amount of flexibility and control. Results are thus predictable and symmetrical. Once the incisions have healed, scars are easily hidden within the lower bra line or bikini top.
- The second incision option is the periareolar incision. Here, the incision is placed within the areolar complex’s darker pigments, which is well camouflaged. This type of incision is best suited for women who are undergoing modest breast enhancement and who have good coloring in their nipples.
- Your breast implants will take a week or two to “settle in.”
“Settling in” describes the process by which the breast implants drop lower into the breast capsule and soften, giving them their final natural look and feel. After surgery, the implants tend to sit high on the chest, which may cause you to question their appearance. They may also feel too firm at first. Rest assured, over time, your breast implants will begin to migrate downwards to a more natural position. The tissue around the breasts will relax as well. Dr. Lee and her excellent staff will also teach you some breast massage techniques to improve the breasts’ softness! Schedule a consultation today!